Thursday, June 7, 2012

Its been HOW long!?

So its been 3 weeks since I departed Bath.  For some reason, however, it seems so much longer than that! There are parts of Bath I miss, such as the beautiful Georgian architecture, the Brits, my friends (obviously), walking everywhere, and the TEA. Oh do I miss the tea.  But while I miss Bath, its been great being home.  Heres a little update for what I have been doing since I've been home.

I started my job at South Shore Country Club again, and let me tell you, it feels great to be back.  What do I do there, you might ask? Well, a lot of people assume I work in the restaurant, but I do not.  I teach golf clinics to both kids and adults, usually Monday-Wednesday, I work in the pro shop on occasion, usually just filling in for people taking some time off, and I am a starter. Whats a starter? Pretty much, I sit down on the first tee, check people in, make sure each time is exactly nine minutes apart to ensure that the course doesn't get jammed, and clean and put away golf carts at the end of the night.  Its a great job and I get to interact and meet a lot of really interesting and nice people.  They definitely treat me well at SSCC.

Also, I have been going to the gym a lot, which feels great.  Yes, it is dreaded beach season, and since I live 10 minutes from the Atlantic ocean, I tend to go to the beach a lot.  When I was abroad, I got out of shape pretty fast. Yes, we walked everywhere, but when it came to cooking, I did what was fast and easy, not really caring about the carb or calorie count.  But now that I am home, I have been trying to exercise more often and eat a lot healthier. I feel great already!

I have been seeing a lot of my hometown friends, but I have only gotten to see two of my close friends from Saint Michael's.  Many of them are living up in Burlington on campus so I will have to get up there for a visit!

Getting back into Boston sports.  It was so hard to keep up when I was abroad, and I would usually get all my information from my Twitter and FaceBook feeds.  But now I have been watching a lot of games, mostly the Celtics because they are in the playoffs (big game tonight!)

Reading more! I try and read throughout the school year as well to keep myself sane (history primary sources are not my idea of light reading) , but in the summer I usually crush one or two books a week.  I started utilizing my hometown library a lot last summer, so I am keeping with that trend and saving up money instead of buying them at Barnes and Noble.

Finally, probably the worst part of being home, studying.  Yes classes are over, all my papers are handed in, but I am taking the GRE and the Praxis II this summer.  For those who don't know, the GRE is a standard exam for getting into Graduate school, which I am planning on attending right after graduation.  Its a lot like the SAT's, but involves deeper thinking and has two essays. The Praxis II is required for my teaching licensure.  I took the Praxis I last summer, which again is similar to the SATs, but the Praxis II is content specific, meaning I will take the Social Studies: Content Knowledge exam, and that takes a lot more preparation and studying. FUN.

Well, theres a little update into my life post-Bath! I hope everyone is having a great summer!

Keep Calm and Bleed Green (go Celtics!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment