Thursday, January 12, 2012

Passports, Visas, and Suitcases, Oh My!

17 days until I leave my family for 4 months. Needless to say, reality is hitting the McCarter family. I received my visa in the mail right before Christmas (a lovely gift to reduce some stress) and my passport did not get lost in the mail, thank God. Besides relaxing and reading for the past 4 weeks, I have been anxiously preparing for my trip. I got new boots to traverse Europe with and a lovely new carry-on suitcase from my godparents for both the flight and casual trips around both the UK and Europe. Casual.

I also received "Rules: Brittanica: An Insiders Guide to Life in the United Kingdom."  It is chock full of rules, tips on manners, and translations.  Who knew although Brits speak English their lingo is completely different! For example, "knocked for six" means very shocked. An upset stomach in British is "gippy tummy". A "slap-head" is a bald person. I know these are random examples, but I think they are silly and funny. Chapter 2 is titled "Words that Guarantee Giggles" I guess I have the collywobbles, meaning I am very nervous. I hope I'm not a plonker(idiot) when I arrive! I am on tenterhooks (pins and needles) just thinking about it! I hope its not chucking it down (raining heavily) when I arrive but I will surely have my wellies (rainboots) by my side!

Anyways, I am preparing to say "Cherrio!" to my SMC loves for a final time next week when I go up to visit!

Keep your pecker up! ( While that may sound dirty it literally means keep your spirits up)

1 comment:

  1. I am just so excited for you. Traveling abroad is one of the most rewarding experiences and I know all my friends who did it in college said it changed them. Being on your own in a new country grows your independence and perspective far greater than any college campus can. I will be using some of those hilarious phrases. I am so excited for when pictures start to flood in!

    ReplyDelete